What Pants maintainers do and how to become one.
The Pants community has several Maintainers: people with a proven track record of contributions to the community and an ongoing commitment to the project, who guide the contributions of the wider community.
It is the responsibility of a maintainer to uphold the health and quality of the project.
- Maintainers are responsible for the quality of the contributions they approve.
- Maintainers should raise objections to changes that may impact the performance, security, or maintainability of the project.
- Maintainers should help shepherd changes through our contribution process.
- Maintainers should maintain a courteous and professional demeanor when participating in the community.
- Maintainers should be regular participants on our public communications channels.
Pants publishes at least one new dev or stable release a week. A subset of the Maintainers takes responsibility for publishing these releases.
We use a Google Calendar to coordinate who is on release duty in a given week. When it is time for a release, the Maintainer who has release duty that week is responsible for updating the release documentation, creating release builds, and shepherding them through the review and release process.
Becoming a maintainer
Maintainer candidates are nominated by existing maintainers from among the wider contributor base. Criteria for nomination include:
- The candidate's desire to become a maintainer.
- A track record of good contributions.
- A friendly, helpful, positive attitude.
If a contributor has been nominated, and is willing to become a maintainer, then their candidacy will be discussed and voted on by the existing maintainers.
Updated about 2 years ago